Why ‘JUST ONE MORE EPISODE’ Is the Biggest Lie I Tell Myself ?
It was a quiet Wednesday evening. I had finished dinner, and settled into my favorite spot on the couch. The remote was within arm's reach, my cozy blanket was wrapped around me, and a steaming mug of coffee on the table. It was a perfect setup for a relaxing night of watching TV.
I had been meaning to start a new series for a while, one that all my friends had been raving about, and tonight seemed like the perfect night to dive in " Just one episode, "I told myself. I scrolled through the streaming app, found the show, and pressed play.
From the very first scene, I was hooked. The characters were intriguing, the story was fact- paced, and the twists - oh, the twists ! The first episode ended on such a suspenseful note that I couldn't help but start the second one. "It's only 45 minutes," I reassured myself, sipping my coffee and sinking deeper into the couch.
The second episode flew by even faster than the first. As the credits rolled, the familiar "Next episode" button appeared, taunting me. My eyes flicked to the clock - it was only 9:30. I could definitely squeeze in one more episode and still get to bed at a reasonable time, right? Besides, I needed to know what happened next! How could I possibly stop now ?
By the end of the third episode, my coffee was cold, my blanket was a tangled mess, and my "one more episode" promise had already crumbled. I glanced at the time again - it was nearly midnight. My eyelids were getting heavy, but my mind was wide awake, buzzing with excitement from the show. The plot was getting deeper, the characters' fates more entangled, and the cliffhangers were more intense. The sensible part of me whispered that it was time to turn off the TV and go to bed, but the show had its grip on me.
"Okay, just one more," I muttered under my breath, knowing full well it was a lie.
The hours blurred together, Episode after episode, I told myself the same thing. The outside world seemed to disappear, and I was completely immersed in the fictional universe playing out on the screen. I didn't even notice when the coffee table lamp dimmed, casting shadows around the room. I was too busy keeping up with the characters, trying to guess what would happen next.
Suddenly, I was jolted out of my binge- watching haze by the unmistakable sound of birds chirping outside my window. I blinked and rubbed my eyes, which were dry from staring at the screen for so long. Slowly, I looked at the clock - 5:30 AM. The sky outside was a faint shade of blue, the sun beginning to peek over the horizon.
"What have I done?" I groaned, realizing I'd watched the entire season in one sitting.
My body ached from staying in the same position for so long, and a wave exhaustion crashed over me. I had to be up for work in just couple of hours. Guilt flooded in as I stood up, stretching my stiff legs. I had completely lost track of time, once again tricked by the "just one more episode" lie.
As I turned off the TV and shuffled to bed, I couldn't help but laugh at myself. I had fallen into the same trap I always did - thinking I could control how much I watched when, deep down, I knew that once I started there was no stopping.
Lying in bed , I made a mental note to never binge-watch on a weeknight again. But as I drifted off to sleep, I knew that when the next season came out, I'd probably do it all over again .
After all, who can resist the allure of "Just one more episode"?
And this is not just about an episode…
ReplyDelete